Slivovik is a village in Northwestern Bulgaria. It is located in Medkovets municipality, Montana region.
Slivovik is located in Northwestern Bulgaria, on the border between the Fore-Balkan and the Danube Plain. The region is predominantly hilly, rich in ground and underground waters.
History of the village of Slivovik
There is evidence that a settlement on the territory of today’s village of Slivovik existed during the Middle Ages. It is related to the history of St. Prophet Elijah Monastery, located in the area of Zaragylak. The monastery has its origins in the Preshuman period and was destroyed during the Belogradchik Uprising in 1850, when Hieromonk Vissarion was killed by seven other brothers from this world monastery. The throne of the destroyed monastery is now preserved in the village church built in 1881.
On the land of the village there are 4 Roman villages from the 1st – 4th century.
In the second half of the 15th century the village was ruined and deserted for several decades.
During the Russo-Turkish War of 1828-1829 in the village of Slivovik settled refugees from the eastern sub-Balkan regions who left their native places together with the departing Russian army. After the Liberation, refugees from Vardar Macedonia settled in the village. During the Crimean War, more than half of its inhabitants emigrated to Russia, but after a one-year stay they returned.
In the wars of 1912 – 1918 more than 20 victims were reported in the village of Slivovik. During the September 1923 Uprising, the village of Slivovik fell into the region of active clashes and killed 5 people.
Cultural and natural landmarks
The church in the village of Slivovik – “St. Nikola “was built in 1881. It was renovated in 2005 – 2006. In addition to it, there are also the following villas in the area of the village: Elijah, Summer St. Nicholas, St. Todor Tyron, St. Peter and Paul, St. Trinity, Deaconing the head of St. John the Baptist, Prophet Jeremiah and St. St. Cyril and Methodius.
In the western direction are the Red Breg and Buluilenika, a forest and a dam.